PEARL JAM AT BRIDGE SCHOOL 20TH ANNIVERSARY

Tournée 2006, comptes-rendus, souvenirs de la tournée par les membres du forum

Message par Olikatie » Lun Oct 23, 2006 5:31 am

Young Rocks With Pearl Jam, Wilson, DMB At Bridge School

Neil Young joined some of the biggest names in rock, including Pearl Jam, Brian Wilson and Dave Matthews Band, last night (Oct. 21) at the 20th anniversary benefit for the Bridge School, an educational center for disabled youth he founded with his wife, Pegi. Young also performed two sets during the evening, one solo acoustic and one with a band.

With brilliant sun washing over the sold-out crowd at Shoreline Amphitheatre, he opened the show with "Flags of Freedom," "Long May You Run" and "Comes a Time," joined by Pegi on vocals. Eight hours later, he was back on stage with a ramshackle band, unearthing obscure fare like "Field of Opportunity," "Human Highway" and "Homegrown," and jamming on "Rockin' in the Free World" with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder and the Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, among others.

Earlier in the day, Young joined Gillian Welch and David Rawlings on their cover of "Country Girl (Medley)" from his 1969 album "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere." He then reappeared playing organ with Brian Wilson during "Good Vibrations" and then hit the stage with Pearl Jam for their first-ever live performance of "Throw Your Hatred Down," from the act's 1995 collaborative album "Mirror Ball."

Prior to his second set of the night, Young dueled on guitar with Dave Matthews during an epic "Cortez the Killer," marked by spot-on soloing from violinist Boyd Tinsley.

Other artists gave knowing nods to Young's legacy. Devendra Banhart, whose band for the day featured folk veteran Bert Jansch, covered David Crosby's "Traction in the Rain," while Death Cab For Cutie played Graham Nash's "Military Madness." Banhart also yielded a portion of his set for performances of Jansch-penned cuts like "When I Get Home," first recorded by the latter's Pentangle.

The evening's most unusual set came from Nine Inch Nails leader Trent Reznor, playing the first solo gig of his career. Backed by a four-piece string section, including violinist/arranger Martin St. Pierre, Reznor admirably transformed the tortured, programming-heavy music of Nine Inch Nails on tracks like "Piggy," "The Fragile," "Right Where It Belongs" and "Hurt," although their morose sentiments didn't exactly jibe with the spirit of the day.

Pearl Jam struck a balance between sing-a-long hits ("Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town," "Daughter," "Better Man") and songs perfectly suited to the day's acoustic approach ("Parachutes," "Man of the Hour"). The band also covered Tom Waits' "Picture in a Frame" before closing with "Crazy Mary," featuring an extended grand piano solo by Boom Gaspar. Vedder injected a bit of off-color humor by playing the traditional drinking song "I Used To Work in Chicago" before "Daughter."

Winding down an extensive acoustic tour, Foo Fighters had the format down pat on hits like "Everlong," "My Hero," "Big Me" and "Times Like These." Wilson also translated the wall-of-sound of his usual performances into a more stripped-down approach, singing while sitting on a stool as opposed to playing piano. The set sported one hit after another, from "Heroes & Villains" and "God Only Knows" to "Surfin' U.S.A." and a cover of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode."

The show reprises today with the same lineup. In related news, iTunes will on Nov. 14 begin selling live performances from past Bridge School performances by more than 70 artists. The only prior document of the event was the 1997 Warner Bros. collection "The Bridge School Concerts Vol. 1."
:bb: Jeremy est né le 28.04.06 et Fanny le 17.07.09 :bb:
Olikatie

Message(s) : 17466

Message par Olikatie » Lun Oct 23, 2006 6:58 am

Bridge School #2:

Masters of war
Gone
Around The Bend
Thin Air
Lukin
Betterman
Black (we belong together tag)
Throw your Hatred Down avec Neil Young
Olikatie

Message par Olikatie » Lun Oct 23, 2006 6:59 am

Just returned from Shoreline (live nearby and rode my bike to the Amphetheatre).

The set was short but well received by the audience. They were the only band that got everyone to stand up at the very beginning. Masters of War was rocking and got the crowd fired up. Gone and Around the Bend are great songs, but chilled the crowd. Before Thin Air, Eddie gave props to Maricor (sp) and the audience gave her an extended and touching amount of applause. Eddie mentioned that Maricor was so unselfish that she wanted the song dedicated to her friends instead of her. Lukin was dedicated to Allen. Mike was shredding his guitar on the Black solo, but the director didn't cut to Mike until it was almost over. Grrr. Neil comes on before Throw Your Hatred Down, and comments on how Black was "awesome". Glad they played that song both nights, because I really wanted to hear it. Gotta say, having four guitars play the same melody at once added a pee in the pants feeling to the mix. As the song came to the end, Neil was having too much fun, he circled his hand, the band sorta gave a "huh?" and they extended the song one more chorus. Very cool. But short. Think Brian Wilson ate into their time!
Olikatie

Message par nicephore » Lun Oct 23, 2006 9:21 am

Olikatie a écrit :Bridge School #2:

Masters of war
Gone
Around The Bend
Thin Air
Lukin
Betterman

:shock: Gone !!! :gr4: :gr3:
Zürich 2000, Paris 2006, Bern 2006, Southside Festival 2007, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012, EV Tour London 2 2012, Milan 2014, Zürich 2022

http://www.facebook.com/athelin
nicephore

Message(s) : 692

Message par schtroumpfpatissier » Lun Oct 23, 2006 10:12 am

nicephore a écrit :

Masters of war
Gone
Around The Bend
Thin Air
Lukin
Betterman

A ce point là?
schtroumpfpatissier

Message par nicephore » Lun Oct 23, 2006 10:33 am

schtroumpfpatissier a écrit :
nicephore a écrit :

Masters of war
Gone
Around The Bend
Thin Air
Lukin
Betterman

A ce point là?

C'est clair ! Déjà que la version studio est terrible...

... mais je sais que je suis le seul à le penser ici ! :roll: :D
Zürich 2000, Paris 2006, Bern 2006, Southside Festival 2007, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012, EV Tour London 2 2012, Milan 2014, Zürich 2022

http://www.facebook.com/athelin
nicephore

Message(s) : 692

Message par matt showman » Lun Oct 23, 2006 10:39 am

mais non :wink:
matt showman

Message par Blue, Red,Yellow » Lun Oct 23, 2006 10:55 am

Masters of war
Gone
Around The Bend
Thin Air
Lukin
Betterman

Mouais....
Blue, Red,Yellow

Message(s) : 1380

Message par yoyo » Lun Oct 23, 2006 11:00 am

pareil ... mouais pour les 2 soirs ...
Liam, 25 septembre 2012 / Aimy-Sarah, 11 mars 2008 / Juliette, 23 octobre 2005
1996 : Paris
2000 : Paris
2006 : Anvers, Marseille, Paris
2007 : Londres, Nimègue, Werchter
2008 : Ed solo : Los Angeles 1, Los Angeles 2
2009 : Londres
2010 : Dublin, Arras
2012 : Amsterdam 1, Arras, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhague
2014 : Milan
2017 : Ed solo : Amsterdam 1
2018 : Rome
2020 : Paris, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2
yoyo

Message(s) : 7514

Message par le smarty » Lun Oct 23, 2006 12:18 pm

Ouais, bof bof pareil... Throw your hatred down deux fois, ca sent le Xmas à plein nez en plus non ?
Up here in my tree.

Paris, France 06-08-2000
Arnheim, Netherlands 08-29-2006
Antwerp, Belgium, 08-30-2006
Paris, France 09-11-2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-26-2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-27-2012
London, United Kingdom, 06-07-2017 (Eddie Solo)
Florence, Italy, 06-24-2017 (Eddie Solo)
Bruxelles, Belgium, 06-12-2019 (Eddie Solo)
Werchter, Belgium, 06-30-2022
le smarty

Message(s) : 891

Message par Olikatie » Lun Oct 23, 2006 12:36 pm

Olikatie

Message par Olikatie » Lun Oct 23, 2006 3:22 pm

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=220394

Just back from Bridge School show

Wow, tonight was just amazing. PJ and Neil were pretty emotional in their performances tonight, and PJ was really ten times better than last night.

The most amazing acoustic version of BLACK w/ "we belong" version. Really sweet ending with Eddie in high pitch.

Opened with Masters of War and again played with Neil tonight on Throw your Hatred. Neil was really into it tonight, a great jam. Also better man, and can't remember. Very end of show was RITFW with everyone, Eddie singing a verse and the crowd loved him. I'll let someone else fill in the rest of the set list. Way better than last night.

Foo Fighters rocked again tonight, but this night PJ clearly owned the stage with Neil.

I have always kind of liked DMB, but somehow he just does not thrill me live. But he had a good set and played one of Neil's most popular tunes with Neil.

Brian Wilson played a shorter set tonight.

Neil was emotional, and played all his hits and couple rare ones.

Groovy crowd, a little less crowded than last night.

+

Here is a link to some really bad 16 second videos I took on my mobile phone during Black. The YouTube compression makes it look worse. I was sitting in the lawn section, so the video is actually of the large TV screen that was in front of me.

Sorry for the crap video, but at least this might hold you over until the iTunes downloads of Bridge start on November 14.

<object width="425" height="350"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PdWuDGBE8S4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9NStawL32Js" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ls0vP03eAf0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Olikatie

Message par GreenDisease » Lun Oct 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Photos, vidéos ... MERCI OLI :wink:

les set sont sans surprise énorme ... Throw Your Hatred Down c'est cool bon 2 fois ils auraient pu varier ... et c'est quoi au fait I Used to Work in Chicago :?:
Montreal, Bell Centre,Sept 15th,2005/Quebec City, Colisee Pepsi,Sept 20th,2005/Arnhem, Gelredome,Aug 29th,2006/Antwerp, Sportpaleis,Aug 30th,2006/Marseille, Le Dôme de Marseille,Sept 9th,2006/Paris, Bercy,Sept 11th,2006/Bern, Bern Arena,Sept 13rd,2006/London, Wembley Arena,June 18th, 2007/Nijmegen, Goeffert Park,June 28th,2007/Werchter,Werchter Festival, June 29th,2007/London, O2 Arena,Aug 18th,2009/Arras, Main Square Festival,July 3rd,2010/Arras, Main Square Festival,June 30th,2012
GreenDisease

Message(s) : 2591

Message par Olikatie » Mar Oct 24, 2006 7:30 am

Veteran Bridge School acts join Neil Young for another great show

Given the illustrious track record of the event, many folks were expecting that the 20th annual Bridge School Benefit would feature pretty much the greatest musical lineup of all time. Fans were looking for something that would put Woodstock to shame.
Unfortunately, the Beatles, Janis Joplin, Tupac Shakur, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and, most significantly, Jerry Garcia were unavailable. So we were left with organizer Neil Young, the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, the Foo Fighters, Brian Wilson and a handful of other top acts — which collectively turned out to be a mighty fine consolation prize on Saturday at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View.

The Bridge concert, which benefited the Hillsborough-based school for students with severe speech and physical impairments, included a few new acts. Most, however, were veterans of past events. Matthews has played the gig several times, including last year. It was the third go-around for the Foos. And Pearl Jam was making its 143,215th annual appearance during this 20th anniversary Bridge.

The upside to that is all those acts know how to get it done on the Bridge stage, where musicians are asked to unplug their instruments and perform acoustic versions of their tunes. Those savvy vets played the biggest hand in making Saturday's concert so enjoyable.

The nine-hour musical marathon, which was repeated with the same cast of characters on Sunday, featured many memorable moments. Basically everything worked, at least to some degree, which certainly can't be said of some prior benefits.
The early sets were all fine. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings performed a likable enough set of dusty Americana. Death Cab for Cutie came across far better than it did back in August at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley.

Both of those acts, however, were quickly forgotten once Trent Reznor took the stage and delivered the first true highlight of Bridge 2006. As the leader of Nine Inch Nails, Reznor heavily relies on electricity to create the band's dark, brooding music. Who would have figured that Reznor doesn't need to plug in to get his point across?

In place of grinding electric guitar, the vocalist worked with a versatile string quartet on mesmerizing new arrangements of "Something I Can Never Have" and "The Fragile." His rendition of the alt-rock classic "Hurt," complete with gorgeous cello and bowed bass work, was downright chilling, reminiscent of Johnny Cash's cover version more so than the original found on 1994's "The Downward Spiral."

The Foo Fighters were up next and showed great comfort in the acoustic realm. That's to be expected since the band's most recent tour, which included a sensational date at the Berkeley Community Theater back in July, was an unplugged affair.

It also has do with the fact that head Foo, vocalist-guitarist Dave Grohl, writes such solidly catchy tunes. Working in front of an enlarged army of Fighters, including his three regular band mates and a quartet of other players, Grohl pounded the sold-out crowd with gripping versions of "Everlong," "My Hero" and "Times Like These."

Following the Foos, Brian Wilson made his entrance and proceeded to lead his 10-piece band in a deliriously good surf-rock party. The former Beach Boy has more truly great songs at his fingertips than basically anyone and the crowd couldn't get enough of such classics as "Heroes and Villians," "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "I Get Around."

The 64-year-old singer, who also appeared at Bridge in 1999, didn't sound so hot at times, especially on a weak version of the sweet "God Only Knows." This band, however, was so good that it was more than able to compensate for any vocal issues.

Not long after Wilson waved goodbye to the crowd, Pearl Jam took the stage and immediately performed a touching rendition of the cumbersomely titled "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town." Seeing Pearl Jam at the Bridge may be old hat for many fans, but the thrill is still there for Eddie Vedder. The vocalist was noticeably moved as he spoke of how honored he was to be performing at the benefit.

"It's hard to assess how deeply our lives have been enriched by being around these parents and kids," said Vedder, referencing the line of Bridge students and their families who sat behind him onstage.

Dave Matthews equaled Vedder's enthusiasm when he walked out to the mic and proclaimed, "This is the best night of the year." In turn, some would say that the Dave Matthews Band turned in the best set of the night as it knocked out solid versions of the precious "Loving Wings" and the upbeat "Warehouse," both of which can be found on the document of the group's free 2004 Golden Gate Park show, "DMB Live Trax Vol. 2."

There's not much argument over what was the song of the night. It had to be the lengthy workout between DMB and Neil Young on "Cortez the Killer," which was the finest Bridge School jam since Phish rode "Guyute" on the Shoreline stage back in 1998.

As good as Matthews and his boys were — and, indeed, they were mighty fine — the most memorable set of the night belonged to the host, Neil Young. As the clock ticked toward 12:30 a.m., the great songwriter took the stage and hit the crowd with "Field of Opportunity," "After the Garden" and, most impressively, "Harvest Moon."

The concert ended, as per usual, with an all-star sing-along. The Pearl Jam guys, Welch and other performers crowded the stage and joined Young on a ferocious version of "Rockin' in the Free World."

Fans then left Shoreline buzzing about all that they'd seen and heard during the previous nine hours. They also were already speculating about what acts will play the 2007 Bridge. The early consensus is that the lineup will surely put Woodstock to shame.

Olikatie

Message par Olikatie » Mar Oct 24, 2006 7:43 am

It was a long, long day, started late around 2:30 with lots of speechifying. Two songs by neil, then opening folk? act I forget but they were nice and gritty and rocking, then a christian folk band? Dunno I was so pre-baked for the long haul those two first acts where a blur, fun folksy, but a blur. (Stumbling from seats down low to find friends on the grass -- lawn had a good vibe going, lots of kids! Lots of Sun!)

Then Death Cab for Cutie came out and I liked them/him - nice set, laid back but nice. Stumbled back down to my seats for that! But he didn't play my favs....

Trent pretty much stole the show -- he came on as the sun was setting, just ripped open a vein and bled for us. And yes "Hurt" with the string quartet was just phenomenal. Foo was good in acoustic format -- Dave had the whole muppet spaz thang going sitting just wailin on his guitar. Heros and Evermore were great. Solid.

Brian Wilson was an acapella tour-de-force -- little overpowering, I think JT's band pulls that off way better. Some recent stuff then through the classics -- I think Help Me Rhonda and Get Around got the best overall crowd response (to that point -- older crowd, Trent was lost on them). (Forget what Neil jammed with them on but it was doo-wop fun!) Surfin USA, what fun! So crowd was up and dancing by that point. (Yeah I noticed he looked kinda sour at one point....)

Pearl Jam comes out with MoW and that kinda stunned folks, powerful. Chorus of Gone brought 'em back, but then Around the Bend and Thin Air started getting the seats warmed up. Lots of PJ fans to each side but the middle was there for Dave I think. Folks stood up for Lukin and I think it got the eyebrows up, what fun! Dancin for Betterman crowd into it. But not a big crowd sing-along, Eddie didn't trust us to carry the end of Black, but seemed most folks knew it. Hatred was rockin.

Yeah that was neat, Neil came out after Black and was kinda like, "I'm supposed to follow that!??!!?" Think he just kinda muttered, "Awesome" or something... Dave Grohl had mentioned how intimidating it can be to play a bridge, lay down the smack and then walk off stage and there's say Neil and Dylan to pat you on the back... "Good Job, Kid!"

Was clear most folks where there for DMB, think he started with Crash? I dunno he played a bunch of identifiable hits, whole crowd jivin' -- all his jams lasted about 8-10 minutes it seemed. Didn't bring a jacket so his number with Neil was goin on forever and we where freezing so we jet at that point (like 10:30). He definitely rocked though.

Yeah, I think Trent delivered the most out-there Interesting performance, Foo and PJ where solid but not quite the intensity of Trent (Hurt > Black > Evermore). Wilson was a bit over-produced, DCC was nice, would like to see him do a long show after that. And again, DMB was just rockin, probably the 2nd best showman of the night next to Trent.

+

Download the Bridge School Concerts for Christmas!

Tracks available from your favorite artists from the first twenty years of the Bridge School Concerts

Available exclusively on iTunes November 14

Enjoy the music while supporting the Bridge School.
Olikatie

Message par Mookie Blaylock » Mar Oct 24, 2006 12:14 pm

Olikatie a écrit :Tracks available from your favorite artists from the first twenty years of the Bridge School Concerts

En voilà une bonne nouvelle !
Mookie Blaylock

Message(s) : 5451

Message par Olikatie » Mer Oct 25, 2006 8:43 am

PJ with Neil - Throw Your Hatred Down
<object width="425" height="350"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0vaOEQDqdQA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lukin
<object width="425" height="350"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MbYwxzX8mAI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Betterman
<object width="425" height="350"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYEDzFeWXCs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Olikatie

Message par Blue, Red,Yellow » Mer Oct 25, 2006 9:17 am

Wow !!
Throw your hatred down je voyage dix ans en arrière,
ça a qd même du bon cette reprise !
Blue, Red,Yellow

Message(s) : 1380

Message par fredbab » Mer Oct 25, 2006 12:10 pm

throw you hatred down trop bon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waouh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! merkinball kel album qd même !!!!!!!!!!! que des tubes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paris (Zenith) 1996 ;
Paris (Bercy) 2000 ;
Anvers (sportpaleis) 30 aout 2006 ;
Marseille (Dôme) 09 sept 2006 ;
Paris (Bercy) 11 sept 2006 ;
Londres (Wembley Arena) 18 juin 2007 ;
Londres (O2 Arena) 18 aout 2009 ;
Arras (Festival) 3 juillet 2010
Amsterdam1 26 juin 2012
Amsterdam1 27 mai 2017 (Ed Solo)

:bb: Ma douce petite Enola est venue au monde le 25 janvier 2006 !!!
:bb: Mon p'tit Neil est venu au monde le 21-01-2010 !!!
fredbab

Message(s) : 4929

Message par Olikatie » Mer Oct 25, 2006 1:07 pm

en cherchant sur dimeadozen, je viens de trouver le torrent de Neil Young avec aussi Throw Your Hatred Down :

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=118112

Neil Young
Bridge School Benefit
Mountain View, CA
October 22, 2006

Recorded from the lower reserved seats center
Source: CMC8 > Edirol R-09 16/44.1>Soundforge(Normalized)>CD Wave>Flac Frontend>FLAC

Disc 1
Neil Young openers
1. Ambulence Blues
2. Long May You Run
3. Comes A Time
Neil Closing Set
4. After The Garden
5. Goin Back
6. Harvest Moon
7. Old Man
8. One Of These Days
9. Rockin In The Free World-Finale